Barely Lift A Finger – Swype Keyboard Review
At this point in time, on-screen touch-keyboards have become a sacred part of any mobile device, but what if there was a better way to send a pointless text-message? Swype is a third-party on-screen keyboard that offers a new way to type on your mobile device, by creating a experience where you literally don’t have to lift your finger to spell words. Could this be the next step in the evolution of the on-screen keyboard? Lets take a look:
– Awesome Auto-detect on words (Be as sloppy as you want).
– Add own words To personal dictionary (F!ck = Duck).
– Different gestures for quick punctuation.
– Use as normal keyboard as well.
– Doesn’t destroy battery-life.
– Costs $1.19.
– Takes some time for your brain to remember to use it.
– Emoji access within another menu.
– Without finger lifting, letters are blocked by fingers. (leads to inaccurate swipes)
– Number/Punctuation button is swapped with the Swype button.
– Pay an extra $1.19 (full price of the app) to buy a single theme keyboard.
– One finger swipe spelling (Can’t begin spelling word with one thumb and finish with the other.)
– Longer words create a unnatural typing experience. (Four letter+ words feel off.)
I’ve been using this app for about a week now and I have grown to like it a lot, so much that I’ve not switched back to the traditional keyboard. For short words its a total win, you can be as sloppy as you want, gestures are a smart implementation and the auto-correct is quite impressive. There are a few fallbacks like my big stupid finger getting in the way when typing bigger words, causing me to just type it out. Also, I was pretty disappointed to find out you have to pay extra $$ for each of the theme keyboards (BOO). Otherwise, I think its a great app and I don’t think I’ll be returning to the traditional keyboard anytime soon!
Swype offers a unique experience to change the way to type on your mobile-device at a fair price. Takes a bit to get use-to, but once you got it I doubt you’ll go back to the traditional keyboard. I definitely recommend checking it out!
Swype Keyboard Review
- Final Rating:
- Cost: $1.19, worth it!
- Very Intuitive "swiping" experience.
- Wicked auto-correct, so you can be sloppy.
- Pay an extra $1.19 (full price of the app) to unlock color keyboards.