Turn Your Photography Into Mosaic Art – Percolator Review
Standing-out from the over-saturation of images on the internet is crucial, especially if you’re looking to snag more followers on social-media. Luckily for us, the App Store contains an overwhelming amount of Apps to help make that possible. And what better way to do that, by turning your photo into a psychedelic mosaic of circles? Peculator, treats your photography like a special brew of coffee, whilst transforming it into a bubbly mosaic. Here’s a look into Peculator for IOS:
– Super easy to create unique images.
– Extremely customizable parameters to suit any photo.
– Constructs a seamless matrix of circles out of your image.
– Several “Grinds” from Coarse to Extra Fine (Detail of Circles).
– Adjust your “Grinds” Size from Huge to Tiny (Size of Circles).
– Adjust your “Grinds” fill based on the saturation, contrast, etc.
– Eleven Different “Brews” (Design of Circles).
– Adjust the opacity of the “Brew”.
– Adjust the mixing-mode of the “Brew”.
– Eleven different Textures to apply to the circles.
– Different Mixing modes on the “Serve” (Final Image).
– Twelve different photo-filters to apply to your final image.
– Go entirely abstract by hiding your original photo.
– Upload straight to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
– Becomes a bit limited to the look it creates.
– No Masking available.
– Can’t export images larger than 2048 x 1171 at 72DPI.
– $.99 USD seems more reasonable than $2.99 USD.
Percolator, is definitely what I consider an App Store hidden-gem. I’ve used this app a few times, I always loved the kind of images that it can produce and people ask me “How did you do that?”. The simplicity of the interface and the complexity of the results is amazing. The ability to mix the results into your photo allows for maximum flexibility. It’s fun to go through your photo-library to see how it works on different images. That being said, the results are a bit limited, due to the one specific look it creates. The only way to stray from the bubble-look is to use the “Full of Stars” or “Superstar” brews, these create stars instead of circles, but I can’t see myself using them. I do feel like the app would be more fair at 99 cents due to the limited ability. I also wish, the app could export larger formats, cause the effect is so cool a nice high-res print would be amazing. In conclusion, this is a great app to help create unique photos here and there, but it’s not really for everyday use.
If you’re looking to spice up the look of your photography, this photo-effect will definitely deliver. Check it out!
- Final Rating
Cost: $2.99 USD
- Extremely customizable parameters to suit any photo.
- Eleven Different "Brews" (Design of Circles).
- Twelve different photo-filters to apply to your final image.
- No Masking available.
- Can't export images larger than 2048x1171 at 72DPI