Beautiful, Puzzling Game Design – Monument Valley Review
Mobile games don’t always have to be mindless, cash-grabs of pre-existing flash games. Monument Valley, for iOS is a testament to this fact, with it’s smart, beautiful game design. Not only does Monument Valley consist of beautiful audio and visual design, but also wicked illusion-based puzzle platforming, that will have you scratching your head. Oh, did I mention it’s also the free app of the week? Check it out:
Gameplay Embedded with Graphic Design.
– Free App of The Week! December 2th – 9th 2015
– Beautifully and consistently designed. (Every moment is art.)
– Solve each puzzle by manipulating your environment.(Move & Twist chunks of level.)
– Smart and complex level design, consisting of optical illusions. (M.C Escher influence.)
– Audio reacts with each move, creating a music notes that blend with games soundtrack.
– Minimal story presented of Ida, suits the minimal design of the game. (Good for pick-up and play.)
– On the shorter side with only ten levels. ( It’s just so good you want to play more.) Expansion pack “Forgotten Shore” is available for $1.99 USD ($2.29 CAD).
– Replayability factor is low.
– In-game camera to capture snaps of gameplay/levels.
This game is YUCKLESS
I’ve decided to begin reviewing the free apps of the week and what better way to start than starting with Monument Valley. This game is so good I almost feel bad for playing it for free. When you first start up Monument Valley, it becomes very clear that the folks over at ustwo have a taste for design. Monument Valley’s clean and clear minimal design begins with you traversing the isometric landscape the game. You guide your character named “Ida” through the level by moving and twisting different chunks of the level, which also consists of elements of consequence and reaction, engaging your thought process for each puzzle. The puzzles of each level, also feature M.C Escher style illusions & “impossible objects” such as the Penrose Triangle. Monument Valley’s audio compliments the visual aspect of the game by having a minimal, relaxing, atmospheric soundtrack. Each move of Ida and the level creates a musical note, this adds an element of control to the soundtrack. Overall, Monument Valley serves you an unique audio and visual experience, which you won’t find in many mobile-games.
A stunning, isometric, puzzle game that engages the player to think differently with it’s M.C Escher inspired levels. Monument Valley valley takes mobile-game design to the next level. Definitely Recommended!
Monument Valley Review:
- Final Rating:
- Free App of The Week! December 2th - 9th 2015
- Gameplay consisting of puzzle-platforming.
- Solve each puzzle by manipulating your environment.(Move & Twist chunks of level.)
- Smart and complex level design, consisting of optical illusions. (M.C Escher influence.)
- Audio reacts with each move, creating a music notes that blend with games soundtrack.
- On the shorter side with only ten levels. Expansion pack "Forgotten Shore" is available for $1.99 USD ($2.29 CAD).