ALERT: Addicting Game – Slayin Review
Originally created for PC, Slayin was ported to iOS/android by FDG Mobile Games, who also did the awesome VENTURE KID, which I loved(REVIEW HERE). It has a cool retro aesthetic, with some awesome chip-tunes and challenging gameplay (all the things I love). The PC version is free to play, but the benefits of the iOS version is a SLEW of unlockables and additional characters. Yes, I do recognize this game came out in 2013, but better late than never right? This game flew right under my radar and I do warn, this is one hell of an addicting game! Let’s check out Slayin for iOS:
Slayin Slimes, Gettin Money…
– The game only costs: 99 cents!
– Awesome retro aesthetic, reminiscent of Mega-Man for NES.
– Addicting and simple, yet challenging gameplay.
– GNARLY CHIP-TUNES: rock out to while you SLAY.
(By: Matt Creamer, who also did the music in RETRO CITY RAMPAGE)
– Collect coins to upgrade your weapons, armor and spells.
– At the end of each stage is a mythical BOSS.
– FAME points allow you to unlock different classes/characters, music tracks, skins, gameplay-modes(Advanced and Boss run), tombstones and more!
– Each character/class have totally different play-styles.(Knight = Stabby, Wizard = Tornado Spin & Magic, Knave = Dual Wield, Archer = Smack & Shoot Projectiles, Tamer = TAME/RIDE/ATTACK WITH THE FRICKEN MONSTERS and Ninja = Swift, Stabby, Ninja-stars etc)
– Quests are like achievements or challenges,
which give you in-game goals and give you more FAME points.
– Spend you precious FAME points on tombstones, which only show your high-score. (I made the mistake of buying these.)
– The screen real-estate isn’t as utilized as it could be. (Could have transparent controls over a full-screen, instead of half controller, half game.)
– The wicked music and sound effects sometimes become permanently muted from minimizing the app and reopening, or receiving notifications until you completely exit the app. (OR sometimes sound can randomly turn back on.)
SLAYIN RULES. Seriously, for 99cents you get a hearty amount of gameplay, a great challenge, wicked music and plenty of unlockables. If you like retro games this is a MUST-HAVE, not only due to the aesthetic, but also the unforgiving challenge. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
- Final Rating:
This game gets 5 out of 5 stars! It's fun, addicting, has good controls and it's really worth every penny. It does have the sound-bug, but it doesn't affect it's overall gameplay or value.