Create, Share & Destroy 3D Pixel-Art On Your Phone! – Tayasui Blocks Review
Pixel-art has been a favorite in pop and videogame culture since the 8-bit era in the 1980’s. Pixel-art is now immortalized by the internet, with newer game developers diving into the look and style of retro games, allowing newer generations to fall in-love with the charm that made video games great. There has been a raster of 2D Pixel-Art Apps for iOS, with my favorite being DOTS (Full Review Here). Recently, a few 3d pixel-art/Voxel apps have launched onto the AppStore, some a bit clunky, but the one that caught my eye was Tayasui Blocks. Tayasui Blocks takes a bright, colorful and minimal approach to designing 3D pixel-art on your phone or tablet. It also has a entire network of people sharing their creations right inside the app, which allows you to scroll through some of the best creations that were made with the app and share your creations. Let’s take a look at Tayasui Blocks.
Create, Share, Download & Destroy, No Mining Involved!
– Drop, stack, attach blocks to easily build 3D Pixel-Art.
– Minimal and user-friendly interface. (Great for kids.)
– Rotate, zoom and re-position the 3D camera with touch-screen controls. (Works surprisingly well!)
– Destroy your beautiful creations with the various destruction tools & weapons. Featuring a physics-system for the blocks.(Throw a grenade or bomb at it, shoot it with a gun, etc.)
– Share your 3D-model with the online Blocks community & quickly DOWNLOAD other people creations straight to your model-library.(All in-app!)
– Toss stickers onto your blocks.(Add eyes,nose,mouth & graphics.)
– Repaint blocks and whole colors with the paintbrush and paint-bucket.
– Renders in real-time!
– Auto-saves your artwork.(Don’t sweat when closing the app when you’re on the go.)
– Toggle-on and off the ground and grid.
– Pre-selected color-pallet, includes almost every color you need, but is restricting.
– Can’t turn off Child-lock password.
– Can’t import reference images.
– Can’t rotate the model itself, only the camera.(Sucks if you use the ground-grid as reference.)
– Can’t change the brightness or direction of lighting.
– Can’t export OBJ,PLY, QB. (Can’t bring it creations into other 3D programs.)
– No Fixed Camera positions.(Front, Back, Top, ISO , etc.)
I’ve been searching for a solid Voxel App for iOS for a while now and this app is so close to being the perfect one! First off, I love the overall look and approach the developers took when designing the app. The bright colors and graphics showcase what can potentially be created with this app. Getting started is easy with being to point and drop any color block of your choosing. The accuracy of placing blocks is relatively accurate (even on the smaller iPhone screen) and the ability to change the camera angle, with the touch-control allows you to see exactly where you need to see. I love being able to change chunks of color with the paint bucket tool, cause it saves the need to tediously repaint big sections of color afterwards. The Blocks Community within the app is impressive, cause the app essentially has it’s own social network/archive of models, which users can up-vote to popularity. Even if you’re not artistic to build anything you can easily download other peoples creations and throw a grenade at it!There are a few things I wish they’d improve and add to this app to make it better like: import photos to the grid for reference and being able to rotate your model. You can definitely live without using a reference image, but not being able to rotate your model stinks. It stinks cause if you create your entire model based on the grid on the ground, then your model will forever be stuck laying on the ground, which forces you to hide the floor when exporting your render. Overall, I love this app and if they fix the few things that cause the minor restriction, this could be one of my favorite creative apps!
Tayasui Blocks is a great app for creating your own 3D pixel-art with ease. There are a few limitations that make the creation and freedom a bit restricting, but they aren’t crippling to your creativity with this app.Recommended!
Great 2D Pixel-Art App:
- Final Rating: